This month FreEbert Studio will be featuring Sister of the Road. Sister of the Road started in 1979 and has been a restaurant for anybody. They are a safe public space, especially for women and children. They offer job employment and training for folks in the neighborhood and offering nutritional meals at a low cost in exchange for work. In 2015, Sister of the Road was looking for a garden to do more food justice work. They found an area to grow a garden to feed the community. Sisters of the Road has fresh food on every single plate, every single day and to be able to put food from the garden that the community grown.
· Sisters Of The Road is a nonprofit Cafe in Portland’s Old Town/Chinatown neighborhood working to create systemic change that will end poverty and homelessness by providing nourishing meals in a safe, dignified space.
· We work to build community one relationship at a time, with nonviolence and gentle personalism, believing everyone has a piece of the truth and that we are all more than the sum of our current situation or past experiences.
· We interrupt violence and oppression in all forms and our Cafe is a Safer Space where everyone is welcome.
· Our belief in food and housing justice with care and dignity as universal human rights are reflected in Sisters’ barter work program where folks can work to pay $1.50 for a meal and drink (same price since 1979!) if you aren’t able to pay with cash. We accept cash, SNAP benefits/EBT cards, meal coupons and barter cards.
·First time guests, families and customers who, for medical reasons, are unable to do any of the work involved in running the Cafe receive a meal and drink at no charge.
· Meal Coupons can be redeemed in our Cafe for a meal and a drink or at Portland area farmer’s markets during the growing season. Meal Coupons are an innovative way to share a meal and start a conversation while responding to need in our community. If you’d like to purchase meal cards for $2.00 each, they’re available online here or give us a call or stop by our development office at 618 NW Davis (Tuesday - Saturday, 9-5).
Sisters Of The Road exists to build authentic relationships and alleviate the hunger of isolation in an atmosphere of nonviolence and gentle personalism that nurtures the whole individual, while seeking systemic solutions that reach the roots of homelessness and poverty to end them forever.
133 NW Sixth Ave
Portland, Oregon 97209
618 NW Davis St
Portland, Oregon 97209
Phone: (503) 222-5694
Fax: (503) 222-3028
Tax ID: 93-0748169